I have recently come across the miraculous Tanaka face massage, invented by Japanese make-up artist Yukuko Tanaka. This massage stimulates the lymph glands, thus speeding up the discharge of excess fluids and toxins from the face. Performed regularly, it will reduce wrinkles, lift the face, prevent and improve sagging skin, reduce pore size, and improve the appearance of dark circles and under-eye bags.
A swollen face is caused by poor circulation of blood in the face, so even good skin care products may not be sufficient to help you get a glowing complexion. With the help of Japanese Tanaka facial massage, you can improve your skin health effectively and naturally.
This video demonstrates the Tanaka Face Massage:
The video lasts for around 10 minutes because each step is explained before it is performed. Once you have mastered the technique, it will take you around 3 minutes to complete it!
Some readers have asked me to provide a written description of the steps, so here it is:
The Tanaka face massage targets all areas of your face, and consists of the following steps:
- Getting started: Starting just before the ear, exercise some strength with your hands and slide downward to your collarbone. Repeat three times.
- Smooth the forehead: use 3 of your fingers and place them in the center of the forehead, then push outward. While pressing down, use both hands to slowly move to the temple, passing the lymph line and downward to the collarbone. Slowly repeat this motion three times.
- Improve puffy eyes and under eyes bags: Use your middle finger to start from the outer corner of your eye, moving along, underneath, and upward to the inner corner of your eye to the brow. Next, from the inside corner of your eye, move outward to the outside corner of your eye. Make sure you use proper strength. Then, starting from the inside corner of the eye, massage from underneath the eye towards the outside corner. Press lightly there, maintain finger in skin contact, directly slide toward the temple, passing right in front of the ear and down to the collarbone. Repeat these motions slowly for three times.
- Lift up the corners of the mouth: use your fingers to press from the center, passing both sides of the mouth reaching the underneath of your mouth. Maintain your pressure. Repeat this motion three times.
- Make the bridge of your nose higher: Slowly massage both sides of your nose wing three times, then push towards the arch of your nose slowly, and repeat about three or four times.
Remove the lines around the mouth( nasolabial folds):6a. Place your fingers around the center of your chin, push gently toward each side, passing in the corner of the mouth and along the wing of the nose, toward the inside corner of your eyes where we you will press for about 3 seconds. Then push toward the temple and massage downward to the collarbone. Repeat this three times.6b. Place one hand gently on the side of the face, use the other hand to press toward the inside corner of the eye diagonally. At the inside corner of the eye gently press down for three seconds, produce pressure, move towards the ear, passing along the lymph line and downward to the collarbone. Repeat three times6c. Both hands are extended outward horizontally. The index finger and the middle finger are perpendicular to the wing of the nose, pushing outward into the front of the ear, passing the lymph line and down to the collarbone. Repeat this step three times. .
- Lift up sagging cheeks: From the chin, use the soft bottom part of your thumb to continuously push the fat upward on your face. Press for about three seconds, then push away horizontally to the ears and push down to the collarbone. Repeat this step three to five times.
- Dissolve the sags in the areas between the cheekbones and the chin: Place the soft part on the bottom of your thumb against the corner of your mouth on each side, slightly bend your neck, and push the muscle upward from your cheek to the ear. When you reach your ear, reduce the strength, lift up your chin slightly, and use your hand to slide from the ear to the neck and down to the collarbone.
- Remove double chin: Place the soft part of the bottom of your thumb at the peak of your chin, and push toward the ear. Your thumb will then slide to back behind the ear. Slowly do this for three to five times.
- Pull up the whole facial sag: Use both thumbs around the chin and cover-up the ring of the face , and fold it up like you’re going to call out for someone. Then, use some strength to move toward the ear. Let your thumb slide underneath the chin and slide your hands down to the collarbone. Repeat this step three times.
- Stretching the wrinkles on the forehead: Slowly do a vertical massage to stretch the wrinkles on the forehead from left to right and then again from right to left.
- Complete the massage: Place your hands in the center of the forehead, then slide down to the temple and down to the collarbone. At this moment the Tanaka massage is completed.
Remember to use a good moistourizer or oil to perform the massage. After doing the massage every day for a couple of weeks, please share you experiences in the comment sections below 🙂