How does chlorine affect your hair?
Chlorine is used as a disinfectant to to reduce the growth of bacteria and viruses in the water. Because of its chemical activity, chlorine also affects hair of swimmers: it strips out the natural oils that protect your hair from damage, resulting in loss of shine and flexibility, as well as making them more susceptible to mechanical damage. An unprotected exposure to chlorine will therefore make your hair drier, and cause the appearance of split ends.
Is it possible to have lustrous hair and go swimming regularly?
Yes, it is 🙂 I am a regular swimmer (I go to the swimming pool 3 times a week), and I still manage to keep my fine, long hair, healthy. But it is important that you follow these 3 steps.
1) Apply coconut oil on your hair first
Apply this wonderful oil on your hair in order to prevent some of the chlorine from being absorbed. Being a fatty acid, coconut oil has a high affinity for hair proteins, and is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. This means that not only it will help prevent chlorine from being absorbed, but will also moisturize your hair while swimming! Run the oil through the lengths of your locks, then use a wide-tooth comb to spread it from scalp to ends. This will ensure even coverage.
2) Wet your hair before getting in the pool
Take a quick shower! This is a very important, yet underrated step. If you get your hair wet before stepping in the pool, your hair will be less likely to absorb chlorinated water. In fact, your hair is similar to a sponge, so it will take on less water when it’s already wet.
3) Wear a good quality swim cap
Wearing a swim cap to prevent chlorinated water from reaching your hair is a pretty obvious thing to do; however, it is important that you choose a swim cap that actually protects your hair! Swim caps are made in different designs, shapes and quality, and this often confuses the customer.
After trying several different swim caps, I came to the conclusion that The Friendly Swede Silicone Long Hair Swim Cap really does its job!
Designed in Sweden, this cap is made of 100% premium quality silicone, and its flexibility makes it easy for you to take it on and off without pulling your hair! It is suitable for male and female swimmers, as well as both adults and children. In order to protect your ear from water, the manufacturers added comfortable ergonomic ear pockets to these swim caps. The design is wrinkle-free, which allows you to swim faster and with less resistance!
What makes this swim cap stand out:
- COMFORTABLE FIT: Made of 100% premium quality silicone, The Friendly Swede’s silicone swim caps offer maximum flexibility. They are easy to take on and off without snagging or pulling long hair.
- DURABILITY: These swim caps are made from 100% premium quality silicone instead of latex, so they are much more durable and will last longer.
- EAR PROTECTION: The comfortable and ergonomic ear flaps of the swim hats help minimize pressure in your ears and keep water out.
- SWIM FASTER: The hydrodynamic, wrinkle-free design of our swim caps allows you to swim faster with less resistance and drag.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: This product is covered by The Friendly Swede’s Lifetime Warranty.
One more reason to opt for this product: The Friendly Swede’s costumer service is amazing!!
Enjoy your swim!